Teknikally Insane
Either this is your first time, or you're currently not logged in...

If this is your first time here, take the time to sign up. It literally takes only a few minutes and it will help the site grow. Sure, you have to sign over your soul, and sacrifice a three-headed goat to the gods of Narheplottemer, but it's well worth it. Alright, so you don't have to do that stuff, but what you *must* do is sign up, seriously, this site gets so much guest traffic it's unbelievable. And I can't have this site grow on guests.

Admin - Uziman04

Mods - Ravenwolf, EclipseDragon

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Teknikally Insane
Either this is your first time, or you're currently not logged in...

If this is your first time here, take the time to sign up. It literally takes only a few minutes and it will help the site grow. Sure, you have to sign over your soul, and sacrifice a three-headed goat to the gods of Narheplottemer, but it's well worth it. Alright, so you don't have to do that stuff, but what you *must* do is sign up, seriously, this site gets so much guest traffic it's unbelievable. And I can't have this site grow on guests.

Admin - Uziman04

Mods - Ravenwolf, EclipseDragon
Teknikally Insane
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Remove logon screen frame
Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting EmptyAugust 18th 2014, 12:03 am by ItsTheRice

» Skyrim Modding on Consoles Should be Allowed
Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting EmptyFebruary 21st 2013, 12:51 am by Ravenwolf

» The Walking Dead Game
Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting EmptyFebruary 20th 2013, 11:10 pm by EclipseDragon

» Non-Stream Art
Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting EmptyDecember 6th 2012, 1:03 pm by EclipseDragon

» Assassin's Creed III review
Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting EmptyDecember 6th 2012, 4:17 am by ZaChiSonoNai

» Lucius The Game
Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting EmptyDecember 6th 2012, 3:40 am by ZaChiSonoNai

» Greatest Game Villian
Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting EmptySeptember 21st 2012, 4:39 pm by ZaChiSonoNai

» PCSX2 (ps2 emulator)
Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting EmptyAugust 10th 2012, 2:45 pm by Ravenwolf

» Livestreams
Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting EmptyAugust 7th 2012, 5:31 pm by EclipseDragon

» Cry of Fear Mod
Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting EmptyAugust 7th 2012, 12:36 pm by EclipseDragon

Top posting users this month
No user

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 27 on August 3rd 2017, 3:04 am
Statistics
We have 95 registered users
The newest registered user is rashmigarden

Our users have posted a total of 519 messages in 105 subjects

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dualbooting for Dummies: Common Sense of Dualbooting

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Uziman04

Uziman04
Admin
Admin

So, you like Linux, you like Windows... Well more likely you *need* Windows because it runs programs flawlessly that Linux you need to mess around with, that's cool. I'm sure that there's enough useless prattle about Dualbooting on the web that would make your head spin. But there isn't often a list of things that you *should* or *should not* do that helps you become *better* in the subject is there? Not to fear, Th3 B@ckd00r is here! And I'm going to give you a list of things that you might already know, or might not of thought of, therefore letting you retain your independent thought... For now that is. So here you have it, the Common Sense of Dualbooting...

Things that might make your life easier: Let's reduce that addiction to Aspirin, yay!

- Use 2 harddrives whenever you can, honestly though you'll save some headaches later on

- If you're starting a new build, get all of your Windows' and other OS's on FIRST before even screwing around with Linux.

- Do your partitioning for Windows in Windows SETUP, then leave the other unallocated space for Linux to screw around with.

- Make your swap partition around that of 2 GB at least, trust me, even when you have 4 GB at your disposal, another 2-4 can’t hurt.

What you don’t want to do: This includes – Spilling beverages/Splitting wires/Using Windows

- Mess around with Windows setup after already installing Linux… You *can* add Windows later to GRUB and such (LILO), but why bother when you can just simply set up everything in one go? And I don’t know why, but whenever I seem to do this, Windows secretly corrupts my Linux partition (PCLOS)…… Evil Windows

- Make everything so complicated. Seriously though, do NOT have 30 distros at your disposal, just 1-2 Linux’s alongside Windows will do in most cases, find one you trust.

- Screw around with the Windows Partition in Linux... This is a big NO NO, don’t even tempt fate unless you have a secret fetish for pain and misery.

- Have more than 3 distros on a single HDD, this is more of a guideline than anything. I rather would like to have 1 OS for each HDD if anything.

- Use Windows ME with ANY Linux on the market…… This version of Windows has no mask of goodness, it is pure evil and ALL Linux’s run before it! I can’t even touch a disk of ME without gloves because it seems to singe my soul… On a different note I used to run Mandrake Linux alongside a Windows ME partition at one point. After 2 weeks of using it though my Linux started running really slow, some programs were coming back with errors of missing files. And then one day it just quit working altogether… Afterwards, I just knew that it was that evil little OS on the other side of that 20 GB HDD.

This is just common sense really with some personal thoughts thrown in. So take them with a grain of salt, this is mostly just a reference point for those new to Dualbooting.

Good Luck to all! pirat

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum